Welcome to Alberts Cellular Therapy
We are a specialist division of the ABJ group. Our vision is to create "opportunity for new life" with integrity, humility, passion and joy. Our goal is to provide you with the best possible treatment in a caring and pleasant environment.
Alberts Cellular Therapy is the largest private practice in Africa dedicated to the treatment of blood cancer and disorders of the blood. We offer a comprehensive range of diagnostic, therapeutic and treatment services.
DEFINING THE STANDARDS
"Alberts Cellular Therapy (ACT) obtained JACIE accreditation in 2014 , making this centre the first and only accredited practice in Africa, to perform haematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCT) according to international standards. The need to enforce quality management in the practice of highly sophisticated medical procedures such as HSCT was identified due to the increasing use of unrelated donors and international exchanges of cell products, necessitating measures to ensure consistent quality control procedures for these products. Dr Andrew McDonald heads the programme at ACT as Transplant Programme Director with more than 16 years experience in clinical haematology.
JACIE (Joint Accreditation Committee – ISCT & EBMT) is a non-profit body that was established with the combined efforts of the International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT) and the European society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation, two of the foremost scientific organisations working with stem cell transplants. Both of these societies are dedicated to fighting life-threatening blood cancers and diseases by using stem cell therapies to improve patients’ lives. JACIE was established for the assessment and accreditation of transplant centres all over the world in order to create a network of specialists using measurable elements to demonstrate high quality practices. The proven impact of implementing a quality program, according to the JACIE standards has several advantages namely;
- The immediate management and recording of adverse events which can prevent future occurrence.
- Improved survival rates for post-transplant patients.
- Participation in an international registry to monitor trends in treatment options together with patient responses. The EBMT registry which was established in the 1970’s has data being continuously submitted by more than 600 transplant centres. The registry also focuses on including donor follow-up data to ensure optimal donor safety.
- Participation on an international platform to share cutting edge knowledge and to perform co-operative studies with annual conference.
- Access to the HSCT Nursing group which was established as an initiative by the EBMT, comprising of more than 800 professionals working in the field of haematology, working towards advancing patient care through evidence-based practice.
Alberts Cellular Therapy works as an integrated system of facilities for patient care and the handling of stem cells (also referred to as product). Our JACIE based quality program ensures the seamless interaction and flow between the different facilities to monitor patient outcomes and facilitate procedural improvements over time. We have a Clinical facility where our physicians assess and treat patients with chemotherapy or other disease related management and then a Collection facility where stem cells are collected by either doing a bone marrow harvest in theatre or a peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC) harvest using an apheresis collection machine. Our Processing Facility includes a specialized haematology laboratory for bone marrow analysis, blood tests and the necessary preparation work to cryogenically freeze the stem cells and keep them stored according to health regulations. Lastly we also have a Data department to submit reports to the EBMT registry, participate in pharmaceutical studies and to monitor the management of our donors and post-transplant patients. The quality program enables the consistent interaction and process documentation between all four of these crucial departments.
The JACIE accreditation period for a transplant programme runs over four years and an application for re-accreditation according to their updated standards will be submitted in 2018 again. During the accredited years, our centre is required to regularly submit documented proof of maintaining the core principles and framework of the quality program, thereby regularly subjecting it to external assessment by the JACIE inspection body.”
Haematology is a unique medical specialty that encompasses the disciplines of blood diseases and disorders. Haematology Services include:
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Diagnosis and treatment of Haematological Malignancies
- Diagnosis and treatment of Coagulation Abnormalities
- Diagnosis, treatment and management of non-malignant Hematologic Diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of Anaemia
- Bone Marrow Evaluation
PERSONAL ATTENTION & LEADING-EDGE CARE
Our Promise To You
- To treat you with dignity and respect.
- To involve you in the development of your treatment plan.
- To seek out the best treatment options for you, including clinical trials.
- To provide educational materials to help you make informed decisions.
- To help you improve your quality of life.
- To take the time to explain your options and answer all your questions.
A TEAM APPROACH
Our physicians work as a team in order to maintain a dependable system to ensure continuity of care for all our patients. This may result in you being consulted by another physician other than your primary physician in the hospital ward or outpatient facility. The real benefit of a team approach is that the patient can get the opinion of a group of specialists and can feel more confident that they have explored all of their options.
OUTPATIENT TREATMENT FACILITY
Your prescribed medications will be administered in the outpatient facility by experienced, caring nurses. They will guide you through what may be a new and stressful process. We encourage you to bring anything that will make you more comfortable. Family and friends are a very important part of your experience with us, and we recognize their valuable support. We welcome your family and friends. In order to accommodate all our patients, we ask that you limit your support system while receiving treatment in the facility to only one. Unfortunately, no children under the age of 12 will be allowed in the outpatient facility.
Our physicians admit patients to Netcare Pretoria East Hospital, Moreleta Park, Pretoria.
DISCHEM: NEW PRESCRIPTIONS AND REFILLS
Your chemotherapy will be ordered through DisChem. They have a mixing facility in our rooms. All prescription and refill requests must be phoned to our office during normal office hours. We cannot refill routine medications after office hours.By law, certain medications require a written prescription. For your safety, we prefer to provide written prescriptions to you at the time of your office visit rather than calling them in. Call us for a refill order. Since it’s very important for you to take your medications, please have them refilled at least three days before running out. Please contact Dischem for chemotherapy costs and home delivery queries.
Your medical records are confidential and will not be shared unless you request it in writing. At your request, we will fax your records to another physician free of charge.
Pain management is an important part of your care. Your physician will rely on you to describe your pain as accurately as possible and to take your prescribed medications correctly. If you have any questions about pain management, please feel free to ask.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
Here are a few things you should know when you visit ACT.
Your first visit
- Please arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment to complete the registration process. Bring with you:
- Your medical scheme member card
- A government-issued photo identity document
- All medications you are currently taking – either a list or the medications themselves
- Referral letter
- You will be asked to complete ACT Patient Information, Terms and Conditions.
- If you need to reschedule your appointment or if you’re going to be late, please notify us as soon as possible.
Please inform reception if your medical scheme or contact details have changed.
MEET OUR PHYSICIANS
Qualifications:MBChB, FCP (SA) MMed (Int Med) Cert Clin Haem (SA)(Phys)
Qualifications:MBChB, FC Path (SA) (Haem), MMed (Haem), Cert Clin Haem (SA) (Path)
Queries and Requests
When calling the office, every effort will be made to answer your phone call in a timely and efficient manner. Please ask to speak to your physician’s nurse, who will assist in resolving your queries efficiently.
- For life-threatening emergencies, call your nearest emergency facility immediately as well as our emergency number: +27 71 600 3285.
- For non-life-threatening emergencies, call our emergency number: +27 71 600 3285.
- A doctor will be on call at this number.
- You can reach us 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Secure any documents that your medical aid requires
- It is very important for you to manage your oncology benefit as you will remain responsible for all outstanding payments.
- Keep informed of remaining benefits and plan your finances accordingly.
- We accept cash, EFT, VISA and MasterCard.
- Financial counselling is also available. Contact our Administration Office for assistance.
- Our administrative staff will apply to your medical aid for authorisation of your chemotherapy treatment.
- You are required to confirm ONCOLOGY benefit registration at your medical aid, if applicable. Please note that the Oncology Benefit registration must be renewed annually.
- You will be required to obtain pre-authorisation from your medical aid for hospital admission, bone marrow biopsies and other procedures.
- We strongly advise you to liaise with your medical scheme on a regular basis to manage your available benefits.
- Ensure that your medical aid details, ICD-10 and authorisation number reflects on all your accounts from all service providers. This will ensure timeous payment.
- Suite M34, Netcare Pretoria East Hospital
c/o Garsfontein and Netcare Road, Moreleta Park, Pretoria
GPS: 188.8.131.52S 184.108.40.206E