Studies show that for people with certain types of cancer, early use of palliative care services not only improves their emotional wellbeing but promotes longer life when compared with people who get standard treatment only. At ABJ Inc., we approach all patients with palliative care to ensure their wellbeing no matter what their diagnosis.
We offer specialist advice and support both on symptom control and total patient care. At ABJ Inc. Oncology Centres we concentrate on working with the patient to achieve the very best quality of life and to support them and their family. We provide support for those diagnosed with cancer with:
- Symptom control and pain management.
- Psychological support for patients and families/carers.
- End of life care.
- Future care planning.
- Advice and support for healthcare professionals caring for patients with a life-limiting illness.
What is palliative care?
Palliative care is an approach to care in which your oncologist takes your individual needs and quality of life into account when treating the symptoms of cancer and its treatments. Palliative care is care given to improve the quality of life of patients who have a serious or life-threatening disease, such as cancer. Palliative care does not mean your prognosis isn't good; palliative care is for anyone to make living with cancer as comfortable and pain-free as possible, as well as to enhance the quality of life so that patients continue to live productive and meaningful lives.
Palliative care usually involves a multidisciplinary team that may include doctors, nurses, registered dieticians, pharmacists, psychologists, and social workers in conjunction with your oncology care team.
The goal of the palliative care specialist is to reduce any signs and symptoms you may experience and make you more comfortable. It addresses the following areas of health and wellbeing:
- The physical – we are here to help you manage the common symptoms including pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath and insomnia as well as the side-effects of your cancer treatments.
- The emotional – we can also help you and your loved ones cope with the emotions that come with a cancer diagnosis and how best to deal with the related depression, anxiety and fear with referrals to the necessary psychologists and counsellors.
- The needs of caregivers – at ABJ Inc. we aim to help caretakers with the extra responsibilities placed upon them by providing crucial information and guidance concerning cancer treatment, nutritional guidance as well as the arrangement of caregivers, transportation and medical equipment.